Thursday, September 3, 2009

Moving: Take 2

Sorry, sorry, I know I'm horribly lazy. Don't blame me, blame my evil twin. I don't remember her name, I think it was Sally or Suzy or something. Do you remember, mother?


EDIT: Actually, blame Kiyo-chan. I was planning to do this yesterday but then we started talking about holidays and stuff and I feel mean to just be like, 'Shut up, I need to blog'. It's always fun to talk to Kiyo anyways, his voice is higher than Nicholas'. Lol. I know, you wouldn't think such a person exists, right? No offense, Social Butterfly.

Anyways, yes, I moved but before I get to my new family I'll talk about the old. They were lovely. During the last week of summer holidays we had a little barbeque with some of the neighbours, Shota's and Akane's friends and stuff. They were pretty funny, the guys, I think it is the most I've talked to males in a day and actually understood what they said. So, the barbeque was outside, we had to make our own fire and everything. I spent most of the time cooking, it was really hot but it was fun. Half of the adult males got drunk which seems to be the custom.


You know what else I learned, I always thought the groovy little Japanese trees were pronounced Bonzai, turns out I was wrong, it's Bonsai. Yes, it does make a difference. I was astounded.

I left the Furukawa household on Saturday the 30th of whatever last month was. August? The night before we had a combined celebration of me going away and it was also Nozomi's 13th birthday. I don't know what was up with that, they seemed really relaxed about it. I'm not sure if she even got presents, I made her a card in the shape of a DS with happy birthday and a manga version of Nozomi on the inside. For that night, we went to a Yakiniku bar where you have the grill and you cook the meat yourself. Although it does seem to defeat the purpose of going out to eat, doesn't it?

Everything was very nice and I ate more than was good for me, it's okay, it was たべほうだい which means that you pay a set amount, then you can order whatever you want and however much you want off a set menu. The icecream was really tiny though. It was fun though, we ate and talked and laughed at the loud, drunk guys in the booth behind us and complained about the forgetful staff. That night was the beginning of 24 hour television which was a special that ran for 24 hours, they have it every year. I watched that with Akane until 2 o'clock in the morning because it was funny. I mean, it was my last night, I wasn't going to go to bed early, I'd feel the guilt of neglectfulness descend upon me like a hawk, but enough simile's. From 24 hour television, 2 good-looking males from a band called NEWS got the new version of influenza going around. Our school also got a lecture, it is in Nagasaki now.

The next morning, I got up at 7.00 so that I could write my thank you card and pack my bags while Akane was still sleeping. I would've written my card earlier but I'd been making Non's birthday card the day before. Akane woke up before I was finished, we ate a ridiculous lunch together (Melon bread with banana cream inside) and watched 24 hour television. A comedian called Imouto was doing a 126 kilometer marathon. I finished packing at about 1.00 after which we took some crazy pictures which was great considering Akane is usually totally against photos. She always hides behind something.


What else happened? The day before Mai came over and we made pancakes. A bunch of us went to Cocowalk for like a little farewell Yui shopping escapade. Yeah...

Everyone got home from Nozomi's Kendo match which they lost. Once they got home, they rung the Mine family and I sat there nervously listening as they organized my hand over. I could feel myself getting teary, knowing that this would be the last time I live with them. The moves are transitional phases. It's sad to leave the families, I'm looking forward to the new one too, of course, but it also signifies that another part of my time here is over. Basically, moving is just the day where it all seems to come out.

Not to mention on 24 hour television they had the story of a junior high school student who died of a bad heart and her mother and friends were crying as they played her favourite song. I always get sucked in to sappy things like that which made me even worse. I was crying, mind you. I was just having occasional teary spells. Once we sorted out where I was going to be swapped, we basically got straight in the car and left after managing my immensely heavy bag (I have no idea why) into the back seat.

Before getting in the car Akiko gave me a collage from the family, there was a photo of me and Akane at Huis Ten Bosch in the middle and on the outside everyone had written thank you notes. I only got to read it at Hikari's house though as otherwise I would have totally balled in the car. I was just feeling emotional.

We got to the Book Market in Nishi Isahaya, the one I visited by myself forever ago. There I was met by Hikari's mum, Akane's mum (Akiko) and Hikari's Mum (Mie) talked for a while. It is kind of odd, meeting someone for the first time, getting in there car and totally flouting the 'Stranger Danger' rule, going to there house and becoming part of their family for a short time. Not to mention, by Tuesday I'd been given a key because I usually get home first. That's a lot of trust to put in someone you've just met. I kind of cried when we said goodbye, but then as soon as I get into the new car, I pull myself together, tell myself that the time for emotion is over and I get on with it.

So, Mie-san is Hikari's mother. She's 46, works in various places doing office work, I don't remember and she's very nice. Everyone is, we had a good conversation on the drive home, I kind of asked about everyone and what they did and stuff. She likes 80's music, I think her favourite is Queen. She doesn't have much confidence in her ability to cook even though it tastes nice, the first time I thanked her for my obentou, she was like, 'You don't have to thank that much for it, it won't be very good.' It is nice and simple, I stressed the whole, I don't each much thing at the beginning so I'm not overloaded.

When we got home, Arisa who is the 19 year old sister was waiting for me. I already really like Arisa, I knew she was into anime and manga but our personalities are very similar. She's 19 but in year twelve after having dropped out previously. She plays the bass guitar, like chocolate mint icecream and owns an entire collection of Clow Cards.
The father, Tatsuaki isn't home much. He comes home late as he is a Chef at a Chinese restaurant at Cocowalk. He brought home cake though so I don't mind. The household itself is pretty relaxed, it is kind of do what you like which is cool. Plus, on their TV they have like the Japanese version of cable so they have two anime channels and the Disney, Discovery and a movie channel, most of which canbe listened to in English and Japanese depending on my mood. I saw Colin Firth on the Disney channel the first night with Amanda Bynes, I can't remember the name of the movie but it was nice to see a familiar face.

Oh yes, the day before school started Arisa had Bunkasai (Cultural Festival) rehearsal at her school. I tagged along, listened to my iPod most of the time and met a very bizarre child whose name I can't remember even though after a short conversation he named me his third best friend. I was originally first but was demoted. He's quite an idiot, a very friendly, nice, amiable one but you can tell he's one screw short. With Arisa's bunkasai tomorrow, I'll probably go. It'll be my first time even though it will be a small one. Kansho has their Bunkasai on the 6th and 7th of November.

After rehearsal we went to change my address on my Gaijin card at Nagasaki City Hall and from there we went to ANIMate or something. It had a whole bunch of anime stuff, I bought some stuff for me and other peoples, I didn't spend much as I didn't have a whole lot of money on me. Next time I go, I'll buy heaps more. Not to mention I am trying to con Arisa, Hikari would go, to Fukuoka with me as there is a huge one up there.

I talked to Hikari last nigth on the phone, she calls Japan way more than I call Australia. She's only been there two months and she has called over 10 times. We talked for a bit in Japanese, Hikari didn't want to speak English. Though it does sound like her English has improved. She like Australian chocolate as well and I think is the first Japanese person I have met that also likes Vegemite. I thought that was brilliant so she is going to bring some home with her. Yay!

Anyway, I have to go as by the time I out in pictures, I'll be lucky to make my train at 5.08. Oh noes, how irritating. I don't have internet at home so I'll blog whenever I can. I'll blog next week with updates from Arisa's Bunkasai.

Lots of love to everyone, not long to go now!

<3

Ashley-chan.
Picture about bullying in my school. See how awesome Japan is?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What is that thing you have in your mouth? also a photo of you in an upright position would of been nice Ash it was hard to see you in those pics, or was that the idea??

klgehrke said...

That was a real "nawwwww" blog. I was wondering why you didn't have any photos of Akane, silly girl she looks so cute. ^^ And that pink thing that (...Akane?) is eating in the photo scares me. Mie-san likes Queen, therefore she is cool. See if you can get her to do a singalong with you ;D Arisa sounds really awesome because she has a complete collection of Clow Cards and Tatsuaki has an awesome name. Hikari, your host sister, is in Australia? That confuses me. xD Also, Hikari's like for Vegemite makes me feel guilty and less Australian for not liking it.

PS. My QCS story = 546 words I think

Unknown said...

i see the thing in your mouth was a pom pom.doh. I'm off to google clow cards. . . .