Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Sickness...

Hello. 'tis I, back from the dead. I am writing because my mother told me to because I am slack. I had a lovely week this week and last week, actually, last weeks wasn't even really a week. To bring some order to my scatter-brained nonsense, I will work chronologically starting from Saturday the 12th.

Saturday: Kansho Live. An event to be kept from the teachers lest they find out that the students of Kansho are displaying their talent in public. It wasn't anything that they didn't do at Bunkasai. I walked from Koto's house to the venue and stumbled upon it quite by accident. Thankfully Chika and Miyuki were standing outside which helped me figure out where it was.

The venue itself was some studio which looked like a dingy little club on the fifth floor of some building. To get up you had the option of stairs or the elevator. I swear, the elevator hated me, it closed on like three times that day. It had a really short time span of letting people in and out, it didn't even have a sensor as standing between the doors made no difference. It just tried to squish you anyway.

The performances themselves weren't anything to rave about, most of them consisted of music too loud and too chaotic to be called music and the vocals mostly fell under a similar category. I contented myself to stand towards the back and to pretend to look interested while the more enthusiastic students had formed a mosh pit that pulsed with the beat.


Yuako, Koto's band, was the best of the bands that night, due to the fact that the music was subdued enough to actually make it bearable and Koto has the decency to have some experiene in singing before inflicting herself upon the public. A few of us stopped briefly at the nearby supermarket to get some food as starting at 3.30 and going to 8.00 is an ideal time for snacking. Not to mention, that I was destined to be there until the bitter end.

Once Yuako was over, the next act I wanted to see was Sayaka and another girl dancing in adorable Santa Claus outfits that they bought for one dollar. It is amazing the things you can find at a one dollar shop.
The end of the night saw my sitting down playing Solitaire on my iPod as I found after 3 or 4 hours I was quite over having unrecognizable screeching passing through my ears in stereo sound. But, all in all, it was something to do although I would have been more pleased if I could have gone home after Sayaka's act as only one or two other bands played and they incensed me to hit myself repeatedly over the head with a dull object. It may sound harsh but it was tedious and unskilled and may prove fun for those with the musical pitching of a Goldfish.

Monday: School. Normal classes with one difference: everyone was sick. O_o Swine flue has struck back at school. At Kansho is takes 6 people in one class to be away from Influenza to make everyone go home out of fear of being infected for three days. Within these days, you aren't supposed to leave the house in order to protect yourself and your fragile immune system. Even if you don't have Influenza, you are still banned from the outside world.

Monday we had about 8 people away which would normally result in a sick day, right? Noooo....due to the fact that we had International Day the following day where foreign teachers from all over the local area come to Kansho and frolic with Coccomi for the day. This was unable to be cancelled so we had to continue on.

Monday morning another few people who didn't feel 100% also went home leaving our 40 members to around 25. After the first classes, the teachers decided to let us go home for the day on the condition that we come the following day. With so many people away it made it quite difficult for us to perform skits that we had written ourselves and thus the preparations that Miyuki and I had done on Sunday were rendered useless. Speaking of that, I haven't been given back my ten dollars yet. (;一_一) Edit: Got it back.

We got sent home on Monday and spent the rest of the day lounging about. I do believe we ate icecream on the way home, I've been doing that a lot recently despite how freezing it is.

Tuesday: School. International Day. As it was my first International Day, I wasn't really sure what to expect but it was pretty fun. Every group was assigned an ALT (Japanese phrase meaning Assistant Learning Teacher which usually refers to foreign teachers). My group was called Y~MCA which I came up with as our group members were Yokota, Mako, Chika and me. We were assigned Graham who was a stuck-up blonde guy from New York who'd been in Japan for over four years and thus I had to respect him for being so good at Japanese.

Among the other ALT's, they were mostly American's although a South African and American-born, Malaysian heritage lady whose boyfriends, incidentally, happens to be our previous AL, Chris' girlfriend. Our ALT's introduced themselves, then we introduced them to the rest of the group. After that was Charades, although we could speak only in English and we couldn't say the thing we were describing. We won the first round and came second in the second round. Pretty good for us although, for some reason, I had trouble describing Batman, I said he could fly and had wings. xD Brain-fog.

The Japanese students tried to explain the lyrics of their national anthem which I also found very informative as I didn't know. Their explanation was just how little rocks become a large rock and becomes covered with moss, may the reign of their emperor live forever or something like that.

With that over and done with, we got to just muck around and eat snacks, our lunches and genrally mingle with everyone which was fun.
I just hung with the Japanese students, I talked to the ALT's but not a whole lot. There was one guy who looked like Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter. Lolzorz.

Being unable to do the skits we had prepared (on the day around 13 people were away) we did a quiz instead where the ALT's asked questions about their country and we had to choose whether it was True or False by going to either side of the room. Those who got it wrong, then were out and the remaining people became the winners. It went on like this until the final prize was given to Arina and it honestly, couldn't have been given to a better person. It was a giant rubber horse head. How hilarious.

It was a good day, it is always nice to be able to spend time with my classmates without haing to actually study or anything. It was fun-ish. Although I'm not sure how much the day accomplishes in terms of learning English but it is a good experience to communicate with people from all around the world.

The best thing about Tuesday was the end when it was announced that because so many people were away that we were to be given the rest of the week off! With that, we were all jumping around excitedly as a 5 day school week had suddenly become a 1 and half day school week and with the weekend, we literally got a five-day holiday. ^^

Wednesday: On Wednesday, Shigeru, Kiyo and I made plans to go and see the new one piece movie. I don't really know anything about One Piece but I was eager to get out of the house and do something plus I figured it was about time I learnt something about One Piece considering it is such a craze in not only Japan, but within the anime world.

Shigeru and I met at one o'clock outside of Isahaya station, making an effort to hide our faces from teachers in case we were found out. Well, Shigeru did, I did nothing. I wouldn't get in trouble even if I was found out. Worst case scenario: I lie, say I'm sick and am being taken to hospital. xD

So, Kiyo said he would come along as well. He didn't. We waited over an hour for him to come toggling between the nearby shopping center and the station to amuse ourselves. After an hour we decided to give it up as a bad job and go to the movies on our twosome. To be honest, I would have preferred Kiyo to come as out of all of the guys he is the one I am most familiar with and the easiest to understand, not to mention that it makes it less awkward. Shigeru and I are friends and are always pulling faces at each other and stuff but out actual conversations are far and few between.

Most of our time on the train was spent wondering where Kiyo was, why he didn't come and how we should scold him terribly at school on Monday. Not knowing whether we should go to Amyu or Cocowalk we decided by Jun Ken Pon (Paper, Rock Scissors) and I won which meant we got off at Urakami and walked to Cocowalk. I was happy because I thought as Public Enermies had come out that I would be able to by like a keychain or something at the store out front of the cinema that has goods from the movies currently showing. (If only I was there for Dr. Parnassus...)

We bought our tickets and then with time to spare before the movie started we went down a floor and took Purikura. Lolz.

On the way into the movie theater, we were given a small One Piece comic which I later found out is quite rare and they only give out so many within Japan. It is the Volume Zero of the One Piece manga series. So, maybe I can sell it on ebay. Ahahaha....I just looked on ebay and the lowest price it is selling for is $35. The highest is $80, if I wait a while, I could make a pretty penny. ^^

I love the showings before the movies, everything seems funnier in Japanese. Not to mention this little animted skit with a bull and two rabbits where they are asking him what happens when he sees the colour red. They use the phrase まじですか? which means 'Seriously?' a lot in the most droll voices. Gosh, I love it. That alone is worth the $15 dollars.

The movie itself was alright, it may have been easier for me to understand if I already knew the names of characters asides from Luffy and Tony Chopper. But, I figured it out soon enough although the plot was a bit...huh? It was funny in moments though, enough to keep me entertained for two hours. By the time we got out of the cinema it was close to six o'clock which surprised me.

We had time to kill before catching the train home so we ate Taiyaki (the normal type, it was my first time, it was nice but the White Taiyaki is definitely my favourite. The difference being the normal type is crunchy and the white is all soft and gooey. ) I should have taken a picture. xD I do have a picture from the ones I ate on the 26th though.

Then we wondered aimlessly around the shops and Shigeru bought a hat and a jacket. With that done and it getting kind of late, we headed home. I got back at around 7.30 or so as it takes the better part of a half an hour just for the train ride.

Thursday: Karaoke. We met at the station at 10.00 and got on a train to Oomura. Already on the train when we got there was Akane, Hikari and Sayaka. Sayaka looked soooo cute wearing glasses. もえ の 炎 ~ (Gehrke: Think Ouran.)  At Oomura station we met Rina who also looked adorable, Japanese girls really make an effort whenever they go out. Even just to answer the door. >_<

We stopped in at McDonalds first and foremost and we ate an early lunch. I had the Chicken Fillet burger which tastes so nice it is just Chicken, Lettuce and Mayo but it is my favourite. I also got a free coke because I had a coupon on me. After we all feasted, we walked to Karaoke and it was spitting rain.

The Karaoke in Oomura was really cheap, one person was around $5 for however long we wanted until 7 o'clock. I don't remember what time we started but all in all, we sung for about four hours. Sayaka and Hikari were all energy and danced around, I, on the other hand, started the ritual of singing while sitting down instead of standing up and moving to the front of the room. Too showy. Most of my songs consisted on anime songs or English songs, although I know Japanese songs I'm not confident enough to sing them without knowing whether or not I know all the lyrics beforehand. That was fun though...it was nice to get together with everybody.

Once Karaoke was done and it had gotten kind of dark, we walked to the Jusco nearby and took Purikura.


Also, everyone was like Icecream...so, me thinking that everyone else would buy as well, bought one but alas, it turned out I was the only person. So, I traversed back to the station, in the cold with light rain and occasionally, light snowfall, eating a Goddamn icecream. Seriously, there has got to be something wrong with me. >_<

Friday: Friday saw us heading off to Huis Ten Bosch. We were planning on going regardless of the holiday, not that it made any difference. We left the house around four as Koto's aunt had to work until then although we went on seperate trains. Koto and I managed to get a seat together but the Yoshiko had to sit with a random. I listened to music for the journey which was faster than I thought it would be. Last time, I went by car and that took close to two hours but on the train I swear it took under one.

Sooner than I thought, we had arrived at the station. We walked up to go over the bridge to get into Huis Ten Bosch and I was the coldest I think I had ever naturally been (excluding the giant freezer at work) I had on four layers, a scarf and gloves and yet the wind seemed to pass right through me. Bloody cold, I tell you.The place was lit up beautifully though with a definite Christmas feel to it.

We had some trouble finding out how to get to our hotel room, we had to catch a bus, then go to another hotel then be driven to our little cabin in the woods by one of the staff. It wasn't actually that far away but it seemed more hassle than necessary. The place itself was, essentially, a little house. It was a two floor shack with a bedrooms, a living rooms, two bathrooms and a tiny, miniscule kitchen the size of a cupboard. The first thing I did was break out the Celebrations which I'd brought along. Everyone seemed to like them and both Koto and I ate our fair share before Mai and Koto's Aunt got there via. the slightly later train. I graciously disposed of the Turkish Delights as they didn't seem to keen on them.

Once everyone was there, we watched some mind-bending Television before venturing out into the cold to find our dinners. We ended up at a steak-house. We all had a hamburger steak set which was very nice, Mai and I had the bread and everyone else had rice. I did what I do and burnt a straw. I do believe I was kind of high because I remember laughing a lot about nothing in particular.

From the restaurant, our next stop was to a nearby store where we bought Caramel Popcorn, Cola, Alcohol and some chips and having procured our provisions we got back into our little hut and spent the rest of the night with fun and frivolity. I don't even know what most of the fun and frivolity entailed, mostly gorging ourselves on food while laughing at each other and the television in turn.

By the time I got to bed it was close to 1:30 in the morning or so, but the rooms were nice and cosy as were my pyjamas (I took mine even though no one else did. They all used the ones provided.) and I got to sleep in no time. Despite a small quarrell about bedding (Mai refused to sleep in the same room as Koto where as Koto wanted to sleep in the same room as me) I ended up not knowing who was sleeping in the other bed until I woke up the following morning.

In the morning, Koto and I did the hounourable thing I got rid of the remaining Caramel Popcorn. From our little balcony we could see swans on the lake. How awesome is my phto. xD
Then we ventured out into the cold to have breakfast, it was very cold again. Unfortunately check out was by 11.00 and at 10.15 without yet having had breakfast we realised that we wouldn't be able to eat and get back in time to check out properly. Thus we traversed back, got all our bags, checked out and proceeded to have what can only be described as Brunch.

Brunch was a hamburger, Japanese style which means it was just the meat with a fried egg on the top which was nice. Also, quite randomly, there were other foreigners in there who waved jovially and one kind of portly fellow with a beard who wore a Santa hat and rode around on a bicycle.

After lunch and a quest for the toilet, I bought me, Mai and Koto Dippin' Dots, the adults were content to eat ours. I got the Banana Mix which was Banana, Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry, I usually get the Chocolate Mint but I thought I'd try something else for a change.

One of the best things about Huis Ten Bosch is that there are samples everywhere. ^^ Then, for buying icecreams Mai bought me lollies. >_<

We wondered around for a short time, I am glad I'd been there before or else I would have felt cheated as we didn't go into any of the attractions, just browsed around the stores.


I, true to my word, bought some more Pirates of the Caribbean stuff that for some unknown reason they sell there. So now I've got a keychain full of POTC stuff. I know it is kind of pointless, but I love Pirates (Johnny) and it was cheap and you can't really find official merchandise anywhere else so meh. >_<
Koto and I wanted to go Ice Skating but when we got to the place it was really small and out in the open and you had to wear a helmet so we quickly decided that we were fine to not do it. With that out of the way, asides from visiting a few shops, we were pretty much straight on our way home and arrived back at 3.00. So, we were only gone for a day but it was still fun and a nice change.

Monday and Tuesday: School, Dodgeball Taikai.

Mondayand Tuesday was spent playing Dodgeball, Volleyball, Soft Volleyball and watching the other teams compete. As every team had to have an even chance at play, we only did two matches a day which went for 7 minutes and then the rest of the time we spent cheering on our class in other events or socialising in the classroom. Also, Monday saw us say Goodbye to five of our students who are going to Australia for Christmas and New Years for only the holidays so I will see them before I leave.

Wednesday was a public holiday, Koto had to get together with her band to figure out what songs they would play next and then I joined Koto and Yuri at Joyfull for Dinner. I tried the Doria for the first time, it was chicken and cheese over rice and it was pretty good but I prefer the Pizza and playing with Tobasco Sauce which is hilarious. I didn't realise how much it burns but Koto and I took turns in dipping chips into it and then holding out for as long as we could before drinking water. xD Then, Wednesday night I decided to decorate the tree. Koto helped a bit but she said she'd be more of a hindrance than a help even though I tried to convince her otherwise. In the end, I did all of it by myself but since I like things like that, it didn't bother me at all.

Thursday was the final day of school, turns out my second last day of school ever as Term Three starts back on the 8th of January and I go home the next day. So, that was a little melancholy but I managed fine. I also had to say Goodbye to Zhong Ming, (Pronounced: Jon Min or close to it) our Chinese teacher as he would be going back to China for the holidays and I would be gone once he got back. That was sad as he and I had been decent friends and he had encouraged me a lot to keep studying Japanese despite my hopelessness at Chinese.

I gave out the Candy Canes mum had sent over, enough for two a piece.
Everyone seemed to like them but it seems that Japanese people have a certain reluctance to mint. Not everyone but a large portion, they say it tastes like toothpaste.

The ceremony itself was over pretty quick then it was just cleaning and we were on our way home before 12.00. Koto had planned a little Christmas Party with some members of Coccomi and we bought chips and drinks and pizza. The whole Schamozzle.


We spent the first hour taking photos of each other. 'We' being Shibata, Anan (the two other Coccomi Sadoubu peoples) me and Koto. I love that my camera has 'Rensha' which is a high speed setting which takes photos every second, it makes for some great photos. After a while everyone else filtered in, Hitomi and Nami being the first, they seemed really tired and took a nap whilst we broke out the Wii. We were all playing under Koto's name to make it easier so I'm really annoyed now because I got a near perfect score on the Parade and yet Koto's name shows up next to my record. I'll have to point that out to her.

After their clubs had finished, Nishiyama, Oba and Yuri also came over. We feasted on junk food and had a lot of fun with the wii but then everyone started leaving and by 5 o'clock it was all over. So、I thought that would be it for Christmas Eve celebrations considering Japanese people don't particularly 'do' Christmas when, to my surprise, another lot of people came over around 7o'clock. 

I didn't know who they were and upon asking later I was informed that they were friends of the family but they brought over Moss Burger Chicken and Cake which was really really good so they were fine by me. So, I ate so much food that day it wasn't funny. The girl was really cute and they kept trying to force her to speak to me in English, poor thing. I didn't like it as much as she did. They didn't stay all too long, they went home before 10 and Mai decided she'd have some fun and straighten my hair for no particular reason. Because it doesn't happen very often, I took photos of myself once the room was clear. I'm such a poser. xD


For all the fun had on Christmas Eve, I found quite the opposite to be true of the following day. Not to say it was bad, just that most everyone was at work which left Mai and I at home doing nothing all day. My Christmas consisted of watching Made of Honour, and playing the Impossible Quiz and such. I was given a present of two Japanese style bowls and two pairs of chopsticks for mother and I. Possibly in exchange for mum sending them a Christmas Card. xD

And of course, chocolate! Santa came to everyone bringing us my favourite Chocolate, how lovely.

That pretty much brings us up to the present. Until yesterday, my days have been spent, taking down the Christmas tree, watching movies, watching television, reading and playing on the Internet, playing with dogs belonging to other people. Which makes me even more slack for not having posted for so long. I humbly apologise but as you can see, I've been busy and no news is good news, right?

Yesterday began the preparations for New Years. I was lucky enough to go to something called MochiTsuki in which they actually make Mochi, white sticky stuff, from scratch. The special mochi rice is boiled over a fire then poured into a giant, granite like pot and then hammered repeatedly with giant wooden hammer things.
Then, it is broken up and rolled into balls which you usually buy it in. That was interesting, I helped roll the balls and even tried my hand at the smashing thing but my partner, it being her first time to and having the heavier hammer, struggled. Either way, it was a decent experience and not one you normally are exposed to.

That pretty much wraps up what I've been doing for the last week or two. It is hard to believe that I've only got two left. It's kind of freaking me out. I'm happy but I'm going to be in pieces when I leave. >_<

<3

Ashley-chan



Lolz. Random Arashi fandomness. This is my schedule book for next year, I've got stickers and stuff too. ^_^ Can I be any more of a fangirl?

3 comments:

Saerlin SieGeneris said...

ごめんなさい!
I didn't mean to take so long. Sorry in advance because I know I'm going to get scolded. xD

Unknown said...

You forgot the wedding! It was an interesting blog. It is funny to see the americanisms within your English. That horse head looks so realistic and wtf is in that girls mouth?, it looks like raw mince. I like your hair straight too.

klgehrke said...

Take the above comment and repeat it. Although I didn't notice the Americanisms, so you can take that sentence out. :)